Special to The Messenger
PALESTINE – Palestine residents needing to get rid of their unwanted items will have the opportunity to do so at the next citywide spring cleanup day in April.
On Saturday, April 10, 2021 from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, Palestine residents, with an active water account, will be able to drop off their unwanted items at the City of Palestine Transfer Station, 517 ACR 3694 off Hwy 79 at no charge.
Residents are required to provide a copy of their water bill and identification, such as a driver’s license, matching the address on the water bill. Items accepted at the transfer station include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Solid waste, including household garbage, furniture, lumber, shingles, and dried paint
- Metal Items, including sheet metal, pipe, scrap iron, and cast iron
- Large appliances, including refrigerators, washers, dryers, a/c units, and televisions
- Car and light truck tires with no rims, limited to 4 per household (Tractor and large truck tires will not be accepted.)
The following WILL NOT be accepted at the transfer station:
- Household chemicals, such as drain cleaners, liquid paint, and cleaning supplies
- Herbicides, pesticides, automotive fluids, or acids
Only one 16’ trailer or 2 regular truckloads per household will be allowed to dump on that day free of charge. Staff will be keeping track of all individuals dumping at the facility. Individuals surpassing the dumping limit will have a choice of being charged for additional loads or be turned away.
Organic yard waste, such as limbs, brush, and leaves will not be accepted, instead can be taken to the Compost Facility at 1630 N. Spring Street. The Compost Facility will be open on the same day, Saturday, April 10, 2021 from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm.
After Saturday, the Compost Facility will return to its regular business hours, Tuesday through Saturday from 8 am until noon and closed Sundays and Mondays.
The elderly and disabled residents can schedule an at-home pickup by calling 903-731-8423. Requests for at home pickup must be made before Monday, April 5, 2021.
For additional information, call the City of Palestine Public Works Department at 903-731-8423.