Suspect in Double Stabbing in Custody

Eludes Police, Turns Himself in the Next Day

By Will Johnson
Messenger Reporter

CROCKETT – The subject of a two-day manhunt – accused of stabbing two men on Friday, July 6 – turned himself in on Saturday, July 7 and was booked into custody at the Houston County Jail.

Maurice Obryan Peterson, 32, was formally charged with and was arrested on two counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, for his alleged role in the stabbings.

According to affidavits of probable cause, Crockett police officers were dispatched to the 200 block of Barnhill Drive in Crockett at approximately 9:25 in reference to a pair of men who had been stabbed.

When CPD officers arrived at the scene, the affidavit indicated the officers observed two males who “… had apparent blood stains on their clothing and appeared to be in a lot of pain.”

The stabbing victims were identified as Chance McDaniel, 22, and Donavan McCrary, 27, both from Crockett. McDaniel was stabbed once in the lower right abdomen while McCrary had a total of four stab wounds – three in the lower back and one in the head.

CPD Officer John Ortiz was one of the first officers on the scene and informed Lt. Clayton Smith that McDaniel had implicated Maurice Peterson was as the person responsible for the stabbings.

Smith also spoke with McDaniel who said, “… Mo had done this to him and also said he thought his name was Maurice.”

In addition, a relative of McDaniel’s was present at the scene and confirmed Peterson’s identity.

As the investigation began to unfold, Smith spoke with McCrary’s wife who was in proximity of the stabbing and witnessed the incident.

“She stated that the altercation began because they had been allowing Peterson to stay at their residence the last few days. They began feeling that Peterson was starting to try and take over their home and they were going to tell him he had to leave and find somewhere else to go,” the affidavit reported.

McCrary’s wife went on to say she believed Peterson overheard the couple talking, became upset and started fighting with McCrary.

“While fighting with McCrary, Maurice stabbed him multiple times. McDaniel went to pull Maurice off of him in attempt to stop the assault. While doing so, Maurice stabbed McDaniel in the lower abdomen area,” the affidavit stated.

McCrary and McDaniel were transported to a Conroe-area hospital where they were both immediately taken into surgery. According to a different relative of McDaniel’s, the two men are expected to recover from their wounds.

Witnesses at the scene reported Peterson had a knife and a hammer in his possession after the altercation occurred, as well as when he was running away.

“The suspect turned himself in Saturday evening at the Houston County Jail. They called our officers down there and there were no incidents. He was there with his family,” Smith said during a conversation on Monday.

Asked if Peterson provided a motive for the attacks, the police lieutenant said, “He has refused to talk. I don’t know that he has an attorney yet, but he made a comment that he would like an attorney and did not want to give a statement at the time he turned himself in.”

Peterson was charged with two counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, first degree felonies.

According to Section 12.32 of the Texas Penal Code, “An individual adjudged guilty of a felony of the first degree shall be punished by imprisonment in the institutional division for life or for any term of not more than 99 years or less than five years. In addition to imprisonment, an individual adjudged guilty of a felony of the first degree may be punished by a fine not to exceed $10,000.”

Peterson is being held at the Houston County Justice Center on a total bond of $500,000.

Will Johnson may be contacted via e-mail at [email protected].

Similar Posts

One Comment

Comments are closed.