Illegal Dumping, Waste Service Providers Discussed
By Will Johnson
HOUSTON COUNTY – A relatively short meeting of the Houston County Commissioners Court was held on Thursday, Jan. 4 and the court session was highlighted by a discussion on trash.
Following the disposal of several agenda items, the court was addressed by Precinct One Constable Morris Luker as part of his environmental report.
“I hope I’ve got some illegal dumping stopped up in Commissioner (Gary) Lovell’s precinct. I served a warrant yesterday and he confessed to doing some illegal dumping around Jan. 1,” the constable said.
Luker said another area of concern about illegal dumping was on the CR 1735, but added the area was currently under surveillance.
“Other than that, I had a nice little visit with Progressive on some trash issues,” he said. “People have called me and as I go up and down the roads, I’ve noticed trash bags along the edge of the roadways.”
As he continued, Luker informed the court he had found a grant available to the county to help financially assist the county in clean-ups of dump sites or even meth labs.
After he concluded his report, County Judge Jim Lovell asked Luker about his conversation with the waste service provider.
Luker reported representatives from Progressive had informed him the holiday season had caused the company to fall behind on their trash routes.
In other matters brought before the court:
- The commissioners approved the minutes from previous meetings.
- The payment of bills and expenses incurred by the county were approved.
- The Houston County Environmental and Community Service Reports were received as information by the commissioners.
- The court approved salaries for new and transfer employees.
- Donations to the Senior Citizens Center along with a donation for improvements to CR 1535 were accepted by the court.
- The Piney Woods Fine arts Association was approved for the allocation of $1,000 to help promote the Larry Gatlin concert scheduled for Jan. 27.
Will Johnson may be contacted via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.