Home Sports Lovelady, Woden Split … Almost

Lovelady, Woden Split … Almost


Woden Takes Game 1, Lovelady Leading Game 2

By Will Johnson
Messenger Reporter

EDITOR’S NOTE: The Lions went on to win Game Two by a final score of 9-3. 

HUDSON – If someone were to say, weather played a factor in the 2019 UIL baseball playoffs, it would be an understatement of epic proportions. Teams have had to juggle locations, times and whether a matchup would be a best-of-three or a one-game winner-take-all.

Thursday evening was no exception as the Lovelady Lions traveled to Hudson to begin a best-of-three series against the Woden Eagles. The two teams were scheduled to play a doubleheader on May 9 and they almost got the games in. Unfortunately, the second game was called in the top of the sixth inning because of weather.

Game One of the doubleheader saw Lovelady’s Carter Murray get the start and for the first two innings he was lights out.

In the top of the third inning, however, Murray ran into a little trouble as Woden’s Khristian Goree had a run-scoring double while Jalen Amidon picked up an RBI on a sacrifice fly.

Reid Taylor was on the mound for Woden and he gave up two runs in the bottom of the third. He walked Slade Murray to open the inning and then an unusual play occurred.

Jay Thomas Robinson was in the batters’ box and thought he also drew a walk. Robinson trotted down to first while Murray moved to second. After a brief discussion between the umpiring crew, it was ruled there were only three balls on Robinson so he returned to the batters’ box. Murray, however, remained at second and was credited with a stolen base.

The very next pitch saw Robinson get plunked and move to first. Logan Lowery bunted his way aboard and loaded the bases.

Taylor uncorked a wild pitch to score Murray from third and then Chad Fulgham delivered a base knock into left to plate Robinson.

That was as close as the Lions would get to taking the lead, unfortunately. Taylor regrouped and managed to quiet the Lion batting order.

A pair of wild pitches allowed Caleb Graves to score for the Eagles in the top of the fourth while Hunter Dailey scored on a wild pitch in the fifth-inning to make the score 4-2.

The Eagles would tack on a pair of runs in the seventh inning to go ahead 6-2 while the Lions would add one to make the Game One final score 6-3.

After a short break, the two teams resumed play. This time the Lions were the visiting team and jumped out to an early 2-0 lead. Robinson got the start for Lovelady and held the Eagles in check for the first two innings of play.

Woden came back to tie the game at two, however, but the Lions pushed a pair of runs across the plate to take a 4-2 advantage by the end of the third.

The Lions broke the game open in the top of the fifth as they took an 8-2 lead and then held the Eagles to a single run in the bottom of the fifth.

Unfortunately, that was when Mother Nature dropped by for a visit. Lightning in the area forced the game to be called and it was agreed the two teams would resume play on Friday, starting at 3 pm. If, as expected, the Lions hold on to win, Game Three would follow afterwards.

As of press time, however, the final scores were not available.

Will Johnson may be contacted via e-mail at wjohnson@messenger-news.com.