In 1889, B.E. Fernow – U.S. Bureau of Forestry chief — asked banker W. Goodrich Jones of Temple, Texas to conduct a survey of the East Texas forests.
Jones had been exposed previously to forestry techniques in the Black Forest of Germany.
He subsequently established the Texas Forestry Association in 1914.
In 1915, he lobbied local lumber companies and the state legislature to establish the Texas Forest Service. He is now known as the Father of Texas Forestry.