By Cheril Vernon
Messenger Copy Editor
GRAPELAND – Several events are planned in Anderson and Houston counties for local veterans, including a Veterans Day Fish Fry from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 11 in Grapeland.
The Grapeland Senior Citizens Center will hold its Veterans Day Fish Fry on Saturday, Nov. 11.
“All veterans and their spouses get to eat free. We want the veterans to know that we appreciate their service to make our country a better, safer place and to thank them for our freedom,” Grapeland Senior Citizens Center President Linda Neel told the Messenger on Friday, Nov. 3.
While the fish fry is primarily for area veterans, the public is welcome to purchase a plate for $8.
The event is sponsored by the senior center with assistance from the Grapeland Noon Lions Club and Grapeland Farm & Ranch. The senior center is located at 112 Church St. in Grapeland.
The fish fry plates will include fish, cole slaw, hush puppies, french fries, drink and dessert.
“You can eat at the senior center for pick up a to-go box,” Neel said.
Veterans who attend will be eligible for door prizes, donated by local merchants.
For more information about the fish fry, call Neel at 936-546-1540.
Many of the schools in Anderson and Houston County are inviting local veterans to their Veterans Day programs. Here is a list of the local programs scheduled:
• Grapeland ISD – 10 a.m. Friday, Nov. 10 at the Lorena Shoultz Auditorium
• Palestine High School – 9 a.m. Wednesday, Nov. 8 at the PHS cafeteria
• Northside Primary School – 9 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 9 at the Northside Primary cafeteria in Palestine.
• Palestine Junior High School – 2 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 9 at the Palestine Junior High School cafeteria
• Westwood Junior High School – 9 a.m. Friday, Nov. 10 at the Westwood Junior High School Gym
• Neches Elementary/ Junior High – 9:30 a.m. Friday, Nov. 10 at the Neches Elementary Cafeteria
• Elkhart Middle School – 9 a.m. Monday, Nov. 13. Guest speaker will be former Elkhart Independent School District Superintendent Johnnie Keeling. Refreshments will be served starting at 8:30 a.m. In the Elkhart Middle School cafeteria. Please RSVP to Elkhart Middle School Secretary Shannon Fox at 903-764-2459 or via email at email@example.com.
Other Veterans Day events include a free Veterans Day breakfast from 8:30 to 10:30 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 9 at the Palestine Civic Center, hosted by the City of Palestine.
Grapeland Farm & Ranch will hold its “Hamburgers for Veterans” event on Friday, Nov. 10 in Grapeland. The cooking will start at 10:30 a.m.