CR 4640 Closed by Court
By Will Johnson
HOUSTON COUNTY – During the Houston County Commissioners Court meeting held on Tuesday, June 11, the court received an update from Denny Wheeler with Piney Woods Sanitation.
“Right now, I’d like to let you know we went up by a count of four customers. We are at 1,841. The dumpster count hasn’t changed since last month. Were still at 107,” he said.
As he continued, Wheeler said for the month of May the company only experienced one missed pick-up when “… the driver took a left, when he should have taken a right. The GPS wasn’t helping so he just came on in. We went back the next day and picked it up.”
Wheeler further informed the court the trash pick-up date Houston County Lake residents would be changing from Friday to Monday to accommodate weekend travelers.
It was also determined a countywide trash pickup for larger items would be held at each precinct county barn beginning the first weekend in July.
Prior to the sanitation discussion, the court approved the closure of County Road 4640.
Precinct Four Commissioner Jimmy Henderson explained the landowners had approached him about closing the roadway because of safety and privacy concerns.
“They were all in agreement and have taken the necessary steps and recommended we close it. I move that we abandon this road,” he said.
The motion was seconded and unanimously approved.
In other matters brought before the court:
- The commissioners approved the minutes from previous meetings.
- It was announced Lt. Justin Killough with the Houston County Sheriff’s Office (HCSO) had been promoted to HCSO Chief Deputy.
- The payment of bills and expenses incurred by the county was approved.
- The Houston County Environmental report was received as information by the court.
- The court approved salaries for new and transfer employees.
- A donation from Jack Beeson in the amount of $600 was accepted by the court.
- The commissioners approved an order for the sale of fireworks from June 30 to July 5, unless it is determined drought conditions exist in the county.
Will Johnson may be contacted via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.